A kitchen remodel project is a huge undertaking, and requires extensive planning and attention to detail. Unfortunately, over the years we’ve heard hundreds of horror stories from our customers about issues they’ve encountered. To help shed some light on the subject, we’ve compiled a short list of some common mistakes people make when remodeling kitchens and how to avoid them.
- Being Penny Smart and Dollar Foolish. Kitchen counter tops are something you’ll look at every single day, and if they turn out crooked with a huge seam down the middle it’ll be impossible to ignore. We can’t stress enough how important it is to invest in the best quality materials and workmanship you can afford. Sub-par work will have to be redone sooner, and wastes more of your time and money than paying more upfront the first time. That being said, it’s not usually advisable to pay for the entire project before completion, just in case of unforeseen circumstances.
- Not identifying your needs and wants beforehand: Whether you have a zoo of kids and dogs running around, or you’re a neat freak that expects things to be just so, make sure to make decisions based on your real day to day life. Whether you’re looking for durable marble tiles for your kitchen floor or decorative quartz tiles for your backsplash, our tile store in Anaheim has a vast selection of exceptional materials to fit every lifestyle and budget.
- Ignoring expert advice: Architects, designers, contractors and even other remodelers all have years of knowledge and practical experience that you should be willing to listen to and apply. The more you can learn from these experts early on, the better- so ask questions! Even if it’s as simple as worrying that the granite tiles you picked out won’t fit your home’s aesthetic, your project manager can help reassure you or steer you in a better direction. In the world of home remodels, there’s absolutely no such thing as a silly question.
- Not trusting your instincts: It’s always better to go with your gut when making decisions to avoid buyer’s remorse six months down the road. Besides the obvious advice of playing with some samples to decide which porcelain tiles would look the best, don’t forget to do your homework on your contractor and other providers. Remember that high quality companies won’t pressure you to sign a contract since their body of work speaks for itself. If you feel that your contractor is untrustworthy or they have less than optimal reviews, revisit point #1 and take the time to find someone that has the qualifications and experience you’re looking for.
- Expecting things to run perfectly: Murphy’s Law always seems to kick in when you least expect it, and the same is true for kitchen remodels. Be okay with the fact that problems will most likely come up, and remember that you’ll drive yourself crazy worrying about every little issue. Trust your contractor to keep you in the loop and handle any problem appropriately, and things will be so much less stressful.
Trendy Surfaces has tile stores in Anaheim, Costa Mesa and Laguna Niguel.
Call our showroom for more information. (714) 284-0118